In early 2004, a heavy FedEx envelope showed up 1753 North Blvd. for Meyer Minchen, the 81-year-old vet who’d lived there since the house was built. He busted it open. Inside was the Distinguished Flying Cross, along with 2 other medals the Air Force had decided to pin on Minchen 6 decades after the fact. When the Chronicle‘s Thom Marshall came knocking later that year to get the story, Minchen told him he already had 3 air medals in his collection but decided to request a review of his service records because why not. “Equipped with powerful searchlights,” the planes Minchen piloted “flew a mere 500 feet above the water looking for signs of enemy subs,” wrote Marshall.
The house has won some medals, too:
Situated on a corner lot off Woodhead St. in what’s now the city’s Broadacres Historic District, it’s one of 33 properties originally included in Ormond Place — one of a few subdivisions that cropped up along North and South boulevards before the war. Oilman Simon Minchen and his wife Mamie paid $4,500 for the land in 1930, then coughed up an extra $1,250 to noted Houston architect Joseph Finger who designed the 2-story brick house, throwing in a clay-tiled roof as well arched windows and doors around its 4 bedrooms and 3 baths. The home remained in the family until Meyer Mincher, the airman, passed away this June.
Whoever gets it next will have some work cut out for them — if they intend to keep it standing.
A garage apartment sits at the at the back of the 16,900 sq.-ft. lot: