The vacant, red-brick building on Congress Ave. shown above just west of Bastrop St. demolished itself this morning, leaving a gap between its turn-of-the-century contemporaries to the south and the metal-roofed warehouse north of it. During its earlier days, the building’s second floor was rented to boarders — a typical setup in this section of the Second Ward, which remained “almost entirely residential,” according to historian Stephen Fox, until Union Station opened in 1911, prompting warehouse and industrial redos nearby.
For about the last decade, it’s been roofless:
A few of the businesses that claimed the structure’s 2109 to 2111 address numbers for themselves at various points between 1905 and 1963, according to arch-ive.org: Damskey & Co. Saloon, Garner’s Meat Market, Fujino & Hashiguchi Tea Co., Peterson & Elder Billiards, Is It Is Moving Pictures, Workingmen’s Saloon, Hotel Lottie, Frisco Hotel, Salem Hotel (upper floor only), Houston Drcug Co. Warehouse, Coffland’s Domino Hall, W.T. Glass Tin Shop, Woods Coffee Co., Modern Hotel, and Port City Music Co.