- Beginning Soon on 96-Acre Self-Storage-Anchored ‘Business Park’ Near Conroe This Month [Houston Business Journal]
- BHW Developing 28-Acre Multi-Use Project in Lake Jackson, Including Apartment Complex Named ‘Plantation Park’ [Houston Business Journal]
- Metrostudy’s List of Master-Planned Communities with the Most Housing Starts in the Country Includes 7 from Houston Area [Houston Business Journal]
- Realtors Predict Median Home Price in Texas, Florida, Hawaii Will Jump More Than 5% in Next 12 Months, says National Association of Realtors [Prime Property]
- 6 Years After Ike, UTMB Close To Completing $1B in Improvements To Protect Against Future Hurricanes [Houston Chronicle]
- Proposed Katy ISD Football Stadium Would Cost More Per Seat Than UH’s New Stadium [Covering Katy]
- Taqueria La Macro on N. Main St. Closing This Saturday in Part Because Construction Workers Have Finished with Light Rail Line; To Reopen in EaDo [Culturemap]
- Northside Residents Can’t Get Anyone to Remove Decomposing Horse Left for Dead in Overgrown Lot [abc13]
- Final 2 Men Convicted of Holding More Than 100 Illegal Immigrants Hostage in Almeda School Rd. Stash House Sentenced [Click2Houston; previously on Swamplot]
- Your Chances of Being Seen on Camera in a Commercial Area Are Almost 100%, Thanks To Ubiquitous Public Surveillance [Houston Chronicle]
- How a Law Student Came to Housesit the Weingarten Mansion for a Month in 1968 [Houston Chronicle; previously on Swamplot]
Photo of Galveston: Russell Hancock via Swamplot Flickr Pool
“The telescreen received and transmitted simultaneously. Any sound that Winston made, above the level of a very low whisper, would be picked up by it, moreover, so long as he remained within the field of vision which the metal plaque commanded, he could be seen as well as heard. There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. You had to live–did live, from habit that became instinct–in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, every movement scrutinized.”
– George Orwell, 1984
I was volunteering in my son’s primary school library years ago when district-contracted “safety consultants” came through to check out such things as, whether the books were likely to fall on the children and hurt them.
Meanwhile Texas school districts continue to request $43 million stadia designed for a sport reeling from its implication in long-term brain damage. No, no gamble on its future popularity, and no liability there!