Before we get to the main event, let’s get a few things out of the way.
Commercial and Community Structures
- Frost Elementary School, 5650 Selinsky Rd. 77048 (HISD; 5 buildings)
- 1900 Yorktown St. 77056 (Yorktown Apartments; previously on Swamplot)
- 4208 Eli St. 77007 (Koehler)
- 743 Rutland St. 77007 (Houston Heights)
- 1435 Chantilly Ln. 77018 (Oak Forest; new construction by JTS Enterprises)
- 1643 Richelieu Ln. 77018 (Oak Forest; new construction by Quintessa Homes; more info)
- 1714 De Milo Dr. 77018 (Oak Forest; new construction by JTS Enterprises; photos)
- 5513 Wayne St. 77026
- 14142 Packard St. 77040 (garage only)
Photo of 5513 Wayne St.: HAR
1900 Yorktown is an office building; the apartments are at 2530 Yorktown. What’s getting the wrecking ball, and does anyone know what’s replacing it?
Fingers is building apartments at the 1900 Yorktown site. Last count was 230 units.
It’s the (now former) Art Institute that’s coming down. I’m watching the demolition from my office a few blocks away, and it’s felt like a series of earthquakes all day, every day. Hopefully they’re not also destroying the structural integrity of nearby buildings in the process.