The last of the Harold Farb apartment complexes has been sold. Cypress Real Estate Advisors, an Austin firm, bought the Nob Hill Apartments on North Braeswood and the West Point Apartments on Woodway last December. And Post Investment Group, an LLC out of LA with some NYC backing, just closed on Farb’s Broadway Square Apartments just north of Hobby Airport.
David Beebe, who’s just posted his own account of the southeast-side walking tour he took with John Lomax last month, has a few comments about his stroll along Broadway:
The [trees] throughout this neighborhood are mature and beautiful. They are, for the most part, oaks. This is a big difference between the Harold Farb pioneered Hobby Airport area and the Frank Sharp designed Sharpstown. If [Sharp] had been as pro-active about tree planting his nighborhood would look more like this. The architecture and age is about the same.
. . . and on the Broadway Square Apartments, which Farb built in 1975:
His apartments here on Broadway are still the best looking of the entire area’s- French Victorian style, but without falling off shutters and with better built and ornate wrought iron railings and kempt landscaping.
There’s been no announcement about it, but the iconic signs along Broadway showing a silhouetted Farb wielding what appears to be a roll of blueprints are likely to be replaced. Globe St.‘s Amy Wolff Sorter reports that Post Investments is planning a $2.5-million renovation:
Work will begin in two months on the 182-building complex and take 1.5 years to complete, according to Jack R. Ehrman, Post’s acquisitions director. The lion’s share of the tab will be used to replace 90% of the roofs.
- Post Investment Snags 2,469-Unit Complex [Globe St.]
- Post Investment Eyeing More Units in Houston [Globe St.]
- Better late than never- Southpoint/Almeda Genoa/Broadway/Harrisburg/Downtown H-TOWN Part One [David Beebe’s take on music and more in Texas]
- Southpoint/Almeda Genoa/Broadway/Harrisburg. H-TOWN Part 2 [David Beebe’s take on music and more in Texas]
- L.A. firm buys Farb’s Broadway Square Apartments [Houston Chronicle]
- Southeast Side: A Tour of the Houston Heartland [Swamplot]
Photo of sign at Broadway Square Apartments: David Beebe