Exterior renovations are nearly complete on the 39,213-sq.-ft. building Houston’s First Baptist Church took over from a local branch of the Communication Workers of America on the corner of Jefferson and Chenevert last year. The new location is number 4 for the church — existing worship centers include the flagship spot on the Katy Fwy. just outside 610, as well as other sites in Cypress and Missouri City.
Crews began whitewashing the brick walls adjacent to the curved entrance drive along the building in January:
The spot at 1730 Jefferson marks the church’s first full-sized return to Downtown since it left its original home on Lamar between Fanin and Main more than 30 years ago. In 2012, First Baptist began leasing a small space at that same original location — which had since been redeveloped into an office tower.
- Houston First Baptist [HAIF]
- Houston’s First Baptist expanding to downtown campus [abc13]
- Previously on Swamplot: Sanctioned by the Congregation: The Office Building Next to First Baptist