Overlooking Hogg Park and White Oak Bayou, the old Robert E. Lee Elementary school is being renovated into a community center for the Near Northside. The school was designed by Alfred C. Finn and dates to 1919 and 1920, though it’s been vacant in this historic district since 2002. Architecture firm PGAL is preserving 3 of the building’s walls and decorative geegaws as well as the arched entryway that faces South St.; new space for what’s been named the Leonel J. Castillo Community Center is being built out the back, as this photo shows.
That photo, taken from Hogg Park, shows the south face of the building (with its widow’s peak). The building sits at the end of South St., between Quitman and Henry near N. Main. It’s planned to be open sometime this fall.
Attempts to contact PGAL haven’t been returned.
Photos: Allyn West