Updates on a few restaurants Swamplot has been following:
- Reopened: Azzarelli’s, an Italian-American restaurant that began the year in Cinco Ranch’s Tuscan-themed Villagio Town Center, then (after a notable exit) camped for a while (as Azzarelli’s Corner Café) in another center at 6455 South Fry Road, opened last week in its 4th location within just a couple of years: 17754 Katy Freeway, Suite B, I-10 at Barker Cypress. “With this great location, I will be open 365 days a year,” owner Frank Triola tells his press-release copywriter.
- Opening Soon: The restaurant going into the former Cue & Cushion pool hall at 510 Shepherd that Swamplot reported on earlier this fall now has a name: Branch Water Tavern — and a more palatable label than “gastropub.” Try “Modern American Tavern.” Chef David Grossman says it’ll open later this month, but the Houston Press‘s Robb Walsh, who’s toured the construction site, thinks Christmas is more likely.
- Opening Next Month: A second location for Pie in the Sky Pie Co., on the 600 block of 19th St. in the Heights. The Conroe location has been open for several years. Reports Fred Eats Houston:
Opening in mid-November, Pie In The Sky 2 will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner daily and will feature the same menu as the original store dishing up everything from fresh pies and pastries to burgers and fried bologna sandwiches.
- Reopening Next Year: Las Alamedas restaurant, which left its longtime by-the-bayou and by-the-freeway location earlier this year, will settle into a new spot overlooking the brand-new “Heritage Square” in La Centerra, Cinco Ranch’s Town Square facsimile in Katy. But the new 7,654-sq.-ft. Mexican restaurant won’t be open until next spring.
Got any more retail openings or closings to report?
- Azzarelli’s Hits the Highway [Swamplot]
- Branch Water Tavern, Featuring Seasonally Inspired American Food, Opens Fall 2009 [PR Urgent]
- Branch Water Tavern: The Best New Restaurant Not Open Yet? [Eating Our Words]
- Branch Water Tavern [planned] [Heights Blog]
- What About the Cushions? [Swamplot]
- More Clues About the Cue [Swamplot]
- Pie In The Sky Coming To 19th Street [Fred Eats Houston]
- Las Alamedas set for spring opening at LaCenterra [Houston Business Journal]
- Where the Freeway Met the Bayou: The Last Days of Las Alamedas [Swamplot]
- Las Alamedas: Landlord Wants More [Swamplot]
- Las Alamedas Lease Lapsed? [Swamplot]
Photo of 510 Shepherd, future home of Branch Water Tavern: Heights Blog
“600 block of 19th” is, of course, an ambiguous designation. There is the 600 block of W. 19th St, and the 600 block of E. 19th street. Both 6 blocks on either side of Heights Blvd.
True. In this case, it’s W. 19th. Near Vietnam.