An intrepid Redditor recently explored the vacant Oakbrook Apartments and snuck away with these photos. The 222-unit complex, currently for sale, sits on 7.3 acres at 5353 De Soto St., east of Antoine and north of W. Tidwell, right up against White Oak Bayou. Writes the creative trespasser: “The majority of [the apartments] are unsecured at this point. There really didn’t seem to be much of anything left in any of the apartments, and I went in a lot of them. Most of the drywall is crumbling and you can smell the mildew from 20 yards away. Wiring and other appliances have been torn out in most of them.”
Apparently, the complex has been eyed for demolition for awhile: the Near Northwest Management District lists it — and 3 nearby complexes — as one site it would really like to see go away; the address has also popped up now and then in news reports since being abandoned in 2008; it’s very near a few other structures, Candlelight Trails and Candlewood Glen, that have been similarly shot.
- Oakbrook Apartments, abandoned for a few years now, went exploring there and took some pics. [Reddit]
- Residents want abandoned buildings in northwest Houston torn down [KHOU]
- Fight Against Blight [Near Northwest Management District]
- 222 Unit Multifamily For Sale in Houston [Loopnet]
- Previously on Swamplot: Houston’s Chief Demolition Officer Takes Her Turn, Candlelight Trails Is Going Down, Lights Out for Candlelight Trails?, Open Houses in Candlewood Glen
Photos: Imgur user alexander9062