Over the weekend, members of cyclist group BikeHouston along with a number of volunteers sent to Houston by Evangelical Lutheran Church made a few bike-friendly modifications to the McGowen St. roadway between Burkett and Nettleton streets — the block that’s bisected by the Columbia Tap Trail. Armed with stencils, paint, and a supply of rubber armadillos, the group sectioned off a protected bike lane along the road leading toward the trail.
Along they way, they included a few helpful reminders:
Although no structural changes were made along the trail itself, the roadwork crew did get down to business adding historical markers to the pavement. Pictured below is one such at McIlhenny St., indicating that the Grand Court Order of Calanthe building — built in 1948 as the Texas headquarters of the nationwide African American social club — is just down the street at 2411 Emancipation Ave.: