- Health Care Construction Booming Both in Med Center and Suburbs as Populations Grow [Houston Chronicle ($)]
- Old Nassau Bay Building at 2000 NASA Pkwy. Demolished To Make Way for Valero Gas Station [Galveston County Daily News ($)]
- Judge To Hear Final Arguments Today in Ashby Highrise Lawsuit [Houston Chronicle ($); previously on Swamplot]
- Quintana Residents At Odds Over Freeport LNG’s Attempt To Buy Homes in Expansion Plan [Houston Chronicle ($)]
- Shake Shack Plans To Open Several Locations in Houston Over the Next Few Years [Culturemap]
- Piatto Ristorante Owner John Carrabba Closes in Royal Oaks To Open in the Heights, the ‘Next Part of Houston to be Booming’ [Houston Chronicle ($)]
- Damaged During Ike, Historic St. Mary Cathedral Basilica in Galveston Opens for First Time in 6 Years [Click2Houston]
- More Than Half a Dozen Works of Street Art Now Adorn the Exterior of Heights Gallery Avis Frank [Houston Chronicle; see photo above]
- Houston Has 20 Pedestrian Fatalities for Every 10K Walking Commuters, Double the National Average for Big Cities [Houston Public Media]
- Cleanup of Nearly 168K Gallons of Spilled Oil in Galveston Bay Nears Completion [Houston Chronicle ($)]
- City Looking for Just the Right Public Toilet for Seawall [Galveston County Daily News ($)]
- An Unexpected Tour of Architect Karen Lantz’s Ranch Estates ‘Dry’ Home Garden [Sharing Nature’s Garden; more info; previously on Swamplot]
Photo of Avis Frank Gallery at 1606 White Oak Dr.: Ruben S. via Swamplot Flickr Pool
It really is an idiotic place to put a high-rise, but anyone in that neighborhood has to appreciate that money talks. Even stupid money.
The woman who won’t sell her house is an idiot. They’re offering well above what you’d get for the house. Money that you could buy ANOTHER house with. Her house will eventually be worth diddly squat. Cash in now.
And what’s wrong with a company trying to buy out houses around a plant anyway? The idea that there is something wrong with that seems to be stupidly critical. I slant left on just about everything, but this woman is only upset b/c she’s not going to get rich from this. She comes across as a bitter old cuss.
I’d venture to say most of those pedestrian fatalities are “undocumented ‘Americans’*” or other oppressed people darting across 8 lanes of freeway.
Money indeed talks. When a group of homeowners attempted to stop Hines from building his hirise on San Felipe, they also asked for a temporary restraining order pending trial. Hines is continuing construction. So I guess who has the most money talks the loudest. And is the one a judge listens to. Sometimes it’s the developer. Sometimes it’s the homeowners. In the case of Ashby, obviously it’s the homeowners They said they would harass everyone connected with the project. And are doing just that. And using a court to do it.
How long are the Galveston “leaders” going to drag their feet on the Seawall restrooms? Wasn’t that a promise when they were trying to sell the public on the parking plan? Where has all of the $$ gone so far?