- Off-Street Parking Proposals Could Change How Houston Grows [Houston Chronicle ($); previously on Swamplot]
- Parking Garage, 5 New Gates Included in Hobby Airport’s $150M Expansion Plan [Click2Houston]
- League City Sees Growth in Retirement Communities [Galveston County Daily News ($)]
- Justin Burrow Trying To Make Downtown a ‘Cool Destination Spot,’ Opening Cocktail Bar on Main Next Month [Eating Our Words]
- Largest El Tiempo Yet Opening Next Door to Ninfa’s on Navigation This Month [Houston Business Journal]
- Harris County Attorney Files Lawsuit Against Southwest Houston Cabaret Located Within 500 Ft. of School [Click2Houston]
- Downtown Hotel Rates As High As $1,000 a Night During NBA All-Star Weekend [The Isiah Factor]
- Pearland, Sugar Land Make Congressional Quarterly’s List of Safest Cities in the Country [abc13]
- Average Houston Driver Wastes 2 Days, 23 Gallons of Gas a Year Sitting in Traffic [abc13]
- Cite Magazine Editor Starts Petition To Open Streets to Pedestrians Once a Week [KUHF; previously on Swamplot]
- 2 Civil War-Era Buildings Renovated in San Jacinto [Galveston County Daily News ($)]
Photo of Rice Military apartment construction at TC Jester and Washington: Loves Swamplot
only 2 days spent in traffic on average per year? I find that hard to believe. That would mean that per day the average Houstonian only spends less than 8 minutes in traffic per day. No way that’s right.
The following link will lead you to the SignOn Petition for the “May 1,000 Night Walks Bloom” petition>
toasty: They’re talking about time wasted in commute vs. time that would be spent driving if not for congestion. So 2 days “extra” vs. if they could just get from point A to point B with out rotting in their car.
If it were total drive time, it would be way higher. For example, I drive very little — about 3k miles a year. However, even with that, at ~40MHP avg, that’s 75 hours (3+ days). An average 12k mile year driver would be over 12 days.
And if they’re blending in those of us that don’t commute and live near their work, I could see it “only” being 2 days since we drag the number down. I’d be at 0 except for my occasional drives by the Galleria that make me want to stab myself.
Gus, the collection of informative links are appreciated, however I might suggest not posting those that you need to pay to read.
I do notice you put a ($) by them but by not even linking to them perhaps they’ll be encouraged to change their ways.
You can generally get behind the Chron paywall by googling the title–not sure why. I get a little message on the side that says I’ve been granted access.