Downtown Houston is looking at you! Here’s why:
Plan Downtown, a 20-year vision that will outline recommendations for planning, development, and design within and around Downtown Houston, has a goal of positioning the area for a competitive and enriched future.
For the process to be successful, it’s imperative that people from all walks of life have an opportunity to give feedback on the many aspects of the plan. Consider this your personal invitation to participate in activities and inform stakeholders. Workshops are scheduled for April and July.
The first of these free public workshops — set for Wednesday, April 12, from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm and from 5:30 to 7:30 pm at the Crystal Ballroom at The Rice — will give you a chance to learn about Plan Downtown, to examine the challenges and opportunities facing Downtown today, and to provide input for Downtown’s future. The event will include a short presentation and activity stations that will allow the public to engage with staff, the leadership team, and consultants.
What’s up for discussion?
Lots of questions. For a little background, the vision of the plan is built around 4 pillars to guide thought and conversation. It’s about making Downtown Houston
- the greatest place to be;
- the premier business location;
- the standard for urban livability; and
- Houston’s leading multi-modal center.
Over the next few months, the project group will be exploring these topics more in-depth, in an effort to guide the plan toward achieving these goals and objectives.
In the meantime, Downtown Houston is encouraging members of the community to think about:
- What are Downtown’s competitive advantages, and how do we build on those in the future?
- How can Downtown better connect to adjacent neighborhoods?
- How can we make a Downtown walk a more pleasant, safe, and engaging experience?
- How will Downtown attract its future workforce?
- What housing needs will Downtown and its adjacent neighborhoods have in the future?
Do you think you might have some answers?
Join Downtown Houston on April 12, from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm and from 5:30 to 7:30 pm at the Crystal Ballroom at The Rice, 909 Texas Ave. For more information on Plan Downtown, visit the Plan Downtown website.
Sponsoring Swamplot is a great way to reach people who pay attention to the city. Find out more here.