- Harris County Seeks $17M in FEMA Funds To Buy Out and Demolish 104 Flood-Prone Homes [Houston Chronicle]
- Harris County Flood Control District Has Heard from Nearly 1,000 Residents Interested in Buyouts [Houston Public Media]
- FEMA Orders 4,500 Manufactured Housing Units for Harvey Flood Evacuees [AP]
- RentCafe Launches Website Where Property Owners Can List Available Units for Those Displaced by Harvey [Houston Chronicle]
- Texas GOP Leaders Calling for Long-Delayed Flood Infrastructure Projects in Houston [The Texas Tribune]
- Harris County Commissioners Approve More Than $1M in Funding for New Stormwater Basins [Houston Public Media]
- Houston Losing Waste Contractors to Irma, Could Slow Debris Removal [Houston Chronicle]
- Sylvia’s Enchilada Kitchen on Eldridge Reopens After Flooding from Addicks and Barker Reservoirs Release [Houston Press]
- Opening of L&L Hawaiian Barbecue’s First Houston Restaurant Delayed [HBJ]
- What’s Next for Buffalo Bayou Park [Houstonia; previously on Swamplot]
- Some Houston Flood Victims Staying in Their Homes Despite Health Risks [Houston Public Media]
- How To Clean Up Flooded Homes Without Getting Sick [Texas Monthly]
- Some Roads Behind Addicks and Barker Reservoirs Could Be Closed for Days Longer [Houston Chronicle]
- Flood-Relocated Endangered Turtle Stops Traffic on Memorial Dr. [abc13]
- A Push To Get More Bicycles into Houstonians’ Hands After Harvey [The Urban Edge]
- Insurance Companies Using Drones To Assess Harvey Damage [Houston Public Media]
- Houston Could Use Some Pessimism To Prepare for the Next Storm [Texas Monthly]
- Bluejack National’s Amenity Center Featuring Zip Lines, Water Slides Nears Completion [HBJ ($)]
Photo of Harvey cleanup in Bellaire: Russell Hancock via Swamplot Flickr Pool
Lt. Gov Patrick: “…We’ve had three now major floods in three years — nothing at this level but major floods.”
…and yet he denies that the climate is changing. Amazing.
Re: Photo of “Yard of the Month”
Now that’s an understatement – and funny!
Cause I haven’t had enough coffee yet today, I’m gonna nit pick here…Allligator Snapping Turtles are “threatened,” not “endangered.” It’s a slight difference.
WR – I dont think anyone in their right mind would argue about climate change. However, man made climate change is a different subject. All people need is something that shows a % of the impact that humans have on the climate and what changes we can make and what those changes equate to.
@Mr. Clean19: 75% of climate change is manmade. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/three-quarters-of-climate/
“75% of climate change is manmade.” – So the climate was stagnate and unchanging before man? I bet you some of them dinosaurs would disagree with your calculations.
Climate change is man made and preventable. We’re already locked in for a rough ride for the next 20 years.
@bocephus: No, no one said climate was “stagnate and unchanging”. 75% of the climate change we are experiencing now is manmade, though.
In regards to clean up. Can’t the national guard or military help with this operation? I would assume they have the heavy equipment, trucks, front end loaders, and dump trucks. This would help speed up the removal of debris. Am I missing something?
“Climate change is man made and preventable” So other planets, you know the ones without human life, their climates don’t change at all? Could you apply this logic to the human-less Sun too?
do not argue with climate change drones, they’ve swallowed it and are true believers now. it’s a religion.
As I’ve said, I’m a bit skeptical of all these people with a need for housing as I don’t think there are throngs of people ‘without a roof over their head’, but I did notice that HAR had a site to put up properties. One of my managers tried to put properties up there and said she couldn’t. So I tried, and she’s right. No matter the address, it says “Address not found” when trying to add. Anyone else try?