Today’s edition of the Demo Report is truly a classic of the genre. Going or gone: The State Grille, a taqueria, a Darling house . . . but really, so much more. You can’t make this stuff up.
- Taqueria La Paloma, 3301 Canal St. 77003
- 2501 Riverside Dr. 77004 (Riverside Terrace; new construction by Learn a Lot)
- Beauty Style Salon, 8029 Howard Dr. 77017
- The State Grille, 2925 Weslayan St. 77027
- 1302 Peden St. 77006
- 5504 Darling St. 77007 (Cottage Grove)
- 5389 Huckleberry Ln. 77056 (Tanglewood; new construction by Living Improvements)
I can’t let the passing of the State Grille go uncommented-upon. I remember its previous incarnation fondly — it was The Black Angus, and the restaurant’s name was emblazoned in three-dimensional, hammered-on lettering across the side of the building. Every so often, some wag would steal the “g.” Truly, inside of my middle-aged female body beats the heart of a 13 year old boy. It would crack me up every time.
The disgusted proprietors finally took to painting the “g” onto the side of the building in the appropriate place.
Ahh, Houston landmarks.