The peaked building at at 215 Westheimer Rd., which for 17 years housed the medical organization that evolved from the Montrose Clinic, appears to be headed toward a new gig in cosmetic dentistry. A reader snapped the photo above of a variance request notice outside the property, which was sold in 2013 after what’s now known as Legacy Community Health Services consolidated some of its operations at 1415 California St. The renamed Clinic, which developed to meet the health needs of the Montrose community during the AIDS crisis, moved out of the building in 2011; according to Houstonian Dental’s website, the firm will be moving into a suite at the same address some time later this year, offering both general and cosmetic tooth services.
The Montrose Clinic first opened in 1978 as an STD testing and treatment center; in 1982 the organization offered some of the first counseling and services for Houstonians impacted by HIV. The Clinic moved to 803 Hawthorne St. in 1982 (now catty-corner to laundromat-adjacent coffee shop Mercantile), then to 1200 Richmond Ave in 1988 before landing at the Westheimer spot in 1995. The Houston-area Assistance Fund merged with the Montrose Clinic in 2005 to form Legacy.
- About Us [Legacy Community Health]
- Legacy to consolidate health centers into Montrose clinic [HBJ]
- Previously on Swamplot: Legacy Montrose Clinic Open for Business
Photo of 215 Westheimer Rd.: sfa lumberjack via Swamplot inbox