Now pending: the sale of the First Church of Christ the Scientist at 1720 Main St., north of Jefferson St. The 1961 structure, designed by Texas architect Milton Foy Martin, was listed for $2.25 million; the listing caught the attention of the Houston chapter of the American Institute of Architects, who had hoped to buy the building and move into it.
The organization made an offer, and even got Mayor Annise Parker to write a letter to the Church’s congregation in early December — Parker’s letter asked the Church to consider selling the building to AIA for the sake of historical preservation, citing fears that “any other purchaser would tear the building down.”
AIA was apparently outbid, however, by a cash buyer asking for no due diligence period. The sale is currently listed as pending on HAR. More detailed photos of the inside and out below, including that golden spire and turquoise tile:
AIA’s documentation of the church classifies it as one of the few remaining examples of Foy Martin’s Houston work whose architecture has not been “obliterated” by subsequent alteration, citing Martin’s Texas Children’s Hospital and Lakeside Country Club buildings as counterexamples.
- 1720 Main St. [HAR]
Photos of 1720 Main St.: HAR