A list of proposed school name changes was released on Friday as HISD moved forward with plans to to cut ties with the Confederacy. The switchover of Henry W. Grady Middle School to Tanglewood Middle School was already approved by the district board of education back in March — here are the 6 and a half new names proposed for the 7 remaining schools, which could be applied by the start of the 2016-2017 school year:
- Jefferson Davis High School -> Northside High School
- Dick Dowling Middle School -> Audrey H. Lawson Middle School
- Albert Sidney Johnston Middle School -> Meyerland Performing and Visual Arts Middle School
- Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson Middle School -> Yolanda Black Navarro Middle School of Excellence
- Sidney Lanier Middle School-> Bob Lanier Middle School
- Robert E. Lee High School -> Margaret Long Wisdom High School
- John Reagan High School -> Heights High School
Purple Pups can hang on to their L.M.S.-initialed uniform shirts for now: the list proposes to trade out Sidney Lanier Middle School’s honoree for former Houston mayor Bob Lanier, leaving the school’s shorthand name intact. Opportunities for high schools named after Miles Davis, Ronald Reagan, or Spike Lee appear to have been passed over.
- HISD Proposes New Names for Seven Schools [abc13]
- Board of Education to consider new names for seven schools [HISD Blog]
- Previously on Swamplot: A Preview of What’s Changing at Jefferson Davis High School Other Than Its Confederate Name; Every School In Texas Named After a Confederate Loyalist, Mapped
Photo of Lanier Middle School: Felipe S.