The 1955 building Houston architects MacKie and Kamrath designed (along with several later additions) for the University of Texas Dental Branch will be removed from its home at the corner of MD Anderson Blvd. and Moursund in the Med Center, according to the Texas Historical Commission. The UT School of Dentistry abandoned the 5-story, granite-faced building earlier this year for a new 300,000-sq.-ft. facility in the new UT Health Science Center Research Park south of the Med Center proper (and OST) at 7500 Cambridge St. UT’s M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, which owns the Med Center site, hasn’t yet announced a schedule for the demolition.
- MD Anderson to demolish MacKie & Kamrath dental school [Preservation Houston]
- New UTHealth School of Dentistry building leaves a lot to smile about [Culturemap]
- New Building, New Conference Center for UTSD [UT Health School of Dentistry]
Photos: Kristen Chen (top), Texas Historical Commission (bottom)