Incorporated as a city in 1959, Sugar Land was still Imperial Sugar’s company-owned town when the original part of this expanded, updated 1940 home went up east of Main St. in “the Hill” neighborhood of Old Sugar Land (loosely defined as north side of U.S. 90). Listed earlier this week with a $349,900 asking price, the property sports a wraparound side porc (above) that faces a Texas Historic Landmark across the tree-lined street: Sugar Land Auditorium, formerly Lakeview Auditorium, is the last remaining building of the original 11-structure campus of Sugar Land ISD District 17.
Now as crisply trimmed as the home, the former garage (above) was converted into a sun room as one of the many renovations over the decades. The county’s appraisal district lists several improvement projects, notably in 1960 and 2000. The home last sold in 2010, for $232,500. Several listings in 2012 and 2013 — toe-testing $389K, $329K, $349K and $329,900 — terminated without a buyer.
The front door is slightly off center. It shares trim treatment with full-height windows (above) that wrap one corner of the front porch, which has a tin roof.
Inside, the front of the 3,830 sq.-ft. home is now taken up by a combo living-dining area, some of which enjoys a raised ceiling:
Pass-throughs to the dining room and center hallway flank a built-in buffet in the updated kitchen:
The island cooktop is more of a peninsula — extending toward the middle of the room:
For the breakfast room, hook around the corner near the buffet:
It connects to an extra room fitted with a beadboard ceiling and a plethora of knotty rustic paneling installed on the horizontal. Windows (and door) abut the home’s extensive side porch. Meanwhile, an interior door (located on the right in the photo below) leads . . .
to a study:
The family room at the back of the floor plan slides open to a patio. The home’s staircase serves the upstairs master suite.
The master downstairs, however, looks like this:
Changes in flooring and ceiling trim are rather pronounced across the middle of the room. In the newer section, French doors open to the big side porch.
Updated at some point, the master bathroom kept its clawfoot tub:
Two secondary bedrooms also fill out the floor plan downstairs:
Above the family room, the other master retreat gets a private balcony . . .
and a more spacious, more recent bathroom:
The view east-by-southeast from the wraparound side porch takes in the school campus shared by the auditorium and current Lakeview Elementary School, a pocket park with signage welcoming visitors to “The Hill. Sugar Land’s First Community,” and a neighborhood bridge over Oyster Creek, which bows this way and that through the immediate area.
- 146 2nd St. [HAR]