The used-restaurant parts yard at the northeast corner of Kirby and 59 will sprout a new upscale neighborhood restaurant by late spring, reports Cleverley Stone. Rhea Wheeler and Debbie Jaramillo hope to open Haven in a brand new building at 2502 Algerian Way. No transfats will be used in its construction:
“Houston does not have a restaurant like this yet. We want to make the building as green possible. Since we are building a new structure we have the opportunity to incorporate many green concepts in the construction and design, from the building materials to the interior textiles, surfaces and lighting.”
For instance, Randy will have a garden on site that will be irrigated with rainwater collected by cisterns.
Randy is executive chef Randy Evans, formerly of Brennan’s.
Haven’s neighbors will be the shuttered Bennigan’s, Mai Thai, Lupe Tortilla, the Mucky Duck, and Taco Cabana — plus a small 6-plex apartment operated by would-be methadone-clinic proprietor Jared Meadors.
- Exclusive: New Houston Restaurant Will Be Haven for Green Concepts [Cleverley’s Blog]
- Mid-Century Modern Lofts & Flats! (Upper Kirby – Houston – TX) [Medusa Properties]
- EAST SUNSET HEIGHTS COMMUNITY METHADONE CLINIC – Coming Fall 2008! [Medusa Properties]
- Bennigan’s Rides into the Sunset [Swamplot]
- Sunset Heights: Will Not Subdivide [Swamplot]
- A Sunset Heights Lot Size Turf War [Swamplot]
Photo of 2502 Algerian Way: Swamplot inbox