METRO is currentlyÂ seeking some public input on replacing the Reliant Park light-rail stop’s outdated moniker. The agency’s preface to the poll notes that the naming rights to the station itself were never a part of Reliant’s $300-million park-branding deal back in 2002, andÂ Â saysÂ anyÂ new name “needs to be reflective of the area, but should not include any reference to a corporate entity which might require another change in years to come.”
Setting aside any potential consideration ofÂ that plan from a readerÂ to go ahead andÂ get nearly 30 potential future name changes over with at once,Â the nominated namesÂ currentlyÂ in the running are (drumroll):
- Stadium/Arena Station, which MetroÂ does noteÂ is “perhaps not distinctive enough,” but would likely alwaysÂ be technicallyÂ correct;
- Astrodome Station, because Astrodome;
- Holly Hall Station, nodding to the nearest cross streetÂ along the Fannin-hugging section of rail line;
- Whatever else you think would be better (with a box for write-in candidates)
- Renaming Survey – Reliant Park StationÂ [METRO]
- Previously on Swamplot:Â Metro Might Never Need To Change a Station Name Again If It Just Changes 28 of Them Now;Â New Names for Reliant Stadium, Reliant Park â€” and the Astrodome?