As the retail churns . . .
- Reopening Soon: The original Three Brothers Bakery next to Brays Bayou in Linkwood, closed since Hurricane Ike, has a permit in hand to rebuild. Cynthia Lescalleet reports in the River Oaks Examiner:
While the exterior of the building, 4036 South Braeswood Blvd., will retain the colors, 60s-vintage architectural elements and windows of its past, the inside has been reconfigured a bit to be “cozy,” with a more efficient layout.
Among the tweaking are the addition of a small room for wedding consultations and staff offices that look out over the interior so they can see and connect with the customers they’ve missed since Hurricane Ike damaged the business, [co-owner Janice] Jucker said.
“We’re almost like therapists over the bakery counter,” she said.
But: no plans to return to the River Oaks Shopping Center or Sugar Land.
Any future expansion would likely be into properties the bakery would own and build itself, she said: “We want control over our destiny.”
Near the end of the 10- to 12-week building project, the building’s crooked sign will be re-set. If you see a straight sign, that’ll mean the bagels are almost ready.
- Opening: Free Press Houston reports that Heights club-in-exile Super Happy Fun Land finally has its occupancy permit . . . and officially opened last night in its new location, 3801 Polk St. in East Downtown. Y’all must’ve bought a whole lot of those sock monkeys!
- Opened: Ryan and Josephine Granger, owners of the Park Grill sandwich shop inside a medical office building on Hermann Dr. just north of Hermann Park, have expanded their medical-offices-eats empire a few blocks north with a new Mexican restaurant in the ground floor of the Plaza Medical Center building. The cafeteria-style Bodegas Taco Shop at the corner of Caroline and Binz, which opened last week, features a full bar and actual bike racks.
- Closed: The Houston Press‘s Eating Our Words blog has a list of Houston restaurants that closed in February. Among those not mentioned already on Swamplot: Amy’s Country Kitchen on West Bellfort, Jersey Mike’s Subs on Westheimer, Johnny Rockets in Katy, Jun Sushi Restaurant on Wilcrest, Live Sports Cafe on Main, Los Cucos in Katy, Mi Luna Tapas in The Woodlands, Paddy’s Smokehouse & Lounge in Katy, Sage on West Alabama, and the Salud! Winery on Montrose.
Got any openings or closings you’d like to report? Send ’em here!
- Baking on the bayou: Three Brothers rebuilding [River Oaks Examiner]
- Super Happy gets Occupancy today and is officially open tonight! [Free Press Houston]
- The Super Happy Fun Land Sock Monkey Rescue Plan [Swamplot]
- Bodega’s Taco Shop [Yelp]
- Bodega’s Taco Shop: Spicing Up the Museum District [Eating Our Words]
- The Departed: Restaurant Closings for February 2009 [Eating Our Words]
Photo of Three Brothers Bakery: River Oaks Examiner