Robert Boyd’s original remarks on the scraping of the Wilshire Village Apartments briefly mentioned another older apartment complex that Matt Dilick redeveloped and now runs: the Bayou on the Bend Apartments, at 5201 Memorial, just west of Shepherd. Boyd’s link to discussions of that complex at ratings website Apartment Ratings sparked a quick note from a reader:
It looks like Apartment Ratings attracts tenants who want to complain, but it seems like most of the gripes about other apartments focus on managers who are hard to deal with, thin walls, neighborhood crime, that sort of stuff. Have you read the reviews of Bayou on the Bend?
Bayou on the Bend gets a 35 percent positive rating from readers who have written in to comment — certainly not the lowest number for a large Houston complex. Here are a few choice excerpts:
* * *
Good thing management has the time to write the good reviews, or this place would be at 5%. I found the staff to be nice, but gave it one star because dealing with the managing owner is so bad that it overrode anything good the staff ever did.
. . . mold is growing on my bedroom wall and I have still yet to see the maintenance or the manager show any concern,maybe because I am moving . . . they appear to have no money because when something major breaks such as swimming pool it takes them six months to get them repaired.
From January of this year:
The place itself looks nice, but don’t be fooled. It was made in the cheapest way possible which is why they are having such financial issues trying to fix everything. After the hurricane, they were so unhelpful and my apartment still has mold in it!!!
When they first built the Bayou Apts, they had MANY problems…Here are just a few of them…
1. The fire marshall came in and the building had sooo many violations they had to move EVERYONE out for about 3 months…They had to be put up in a hotel downtown and pay for their expenses….
2. They built out the units as they rented them and NOT all at once. Ongoing construction while tenants were living there.
3. They had MAJOR MAJOR flooding from the pipes that were installed from the upper floors. They ignored the problem for a while and painted over the mold and damage where they could . . . The contractor blamed the installers and they fought about it. They ONLY repaired and painted where necessary….STILL having leaks ALL throughout the building.
4. Violations Violations GALORE……They were also sited for elevator violations, fire safety, plumbing violations….NOT reputable builders & contractors….
And from last November:
After the hurricane which flooded us in for days as the bayou rises, many residents now have mold in their walls. We had several days of rain last week and bayou flooded our back area and this water flows into Memorial Drive. I have had numerous leaks before the hurricane. Leasing staff are leaving, last one leaves this week. They cant in good consciousness lease to people anymore. Our pools and jacuzzis are still out of commission. The parking garage is a nightmare. People coming home from work cannot get into the garage if one person is leaving and you are stuck backing up onto Memorial Drive in busy traffic. Parties are so-so. I did not like the crawfish boil.
Ah, but more positive reviewers respond:
Now I know there were some problems with the Hurricane, the management told me about them, but the place is beautiful and the management fixed those problems which were the fault of a contractor. The entrance is amazing, almost like a modern Greek building, I love the room lay out I was shown, I still wish I could live there but the Lord had other plans for me. However to all those who say it is horrible, buy a house, the rent is the same as mortgage, and then complain to your contractor. Im 65 now and I was looking to show a picture to my buddy when I read all these nasty lies. I was taken off my feet by my visit and I am sure that you will be too.
Buffalo Bayou is so cool to watch and peaceful to sit back and read and smoke with the skyscrapers on the horizon . Bayou on the Bend Apartments is the best place ever with very spacious apartments and state of the art design features. I use the steam room 3 times a week and love the infinity poo. Absolutely the greatest views in Houston!
Here are some views of that infinity . . . oh, never mind. One commenter included these photos, with the caption “And this is not from ike a few times a year lets see how many months it takes next time to fix the pool.”
- Bayou on the Bend Apartments [Apartment Ratings]
- Wilshire Village Scraped [Wha' Happen?]
- Bayou on the Bend apartments set to rise again, Bayou project rides out rain delay [Houston Business Journal]
- Bayou on the Bend Luxury Apartments
- Boyd’s Wilshire Village Prayer, with Photos [Swamplot]